Tuesday, November 21

I hope I am wrong

Since Katrina I can never take my friends for granted again.
Since Katrina I have nightmares of water pouring into my hometown nearly every night.
Since Katrina I have become quieter, grimmer, more serious. I have much of my sense of humor and my hope that the universe is somehow a fair and a beautiful place after all.
Since Katrina I wonder if my dream of ever moving back home to New Orleans is the stupidest idea ever or the most loyal gesture I could possibly make.
Since Katrina I feel incredibly guilty that I moved not long before the storm, while my family and my possessions were unscathed, most of the people I loved lost everything they had or waded through filthy waters for hours and barely escaped with their lives.
Since Katrina my friends are scattered all over the country and I don't know if I will ever see any of them again, much less ever have them all in one place where I can visit them again.
Since Katrina, my community has been shattered, and I think that is something beyond repair, although I hope I am wrong.

Raven's Star

No comments: